Download Philippe Hersant biography
Born 21 june 1948 in Rome (Italy)
Writing Prize of Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique de Paris, where he was André JOLIVET student (Composition course).
Scholar of Casa Velázquez, in Madrid (1970-72) and of Villa Médicis, in Rome (1978-80), Producer at France Musique, since 1973.
• Georges Enesco Prize (1982) et Prize of the Best Contemporary Creation (1986), for his first String Quartet, awarded by SACEM.
• Nominated at French Classical Music Victoires in 1986, for his first String Quartet.
• Musical Grand Prize of La Ville de Paris (1990)
• Composers Prize of SACEM (1991)
• La Missa brevis (en 1991) and Landschaft mit Argonauten (en 1995) were awarded by UNESCO International Tribune.
• New Talents Prize awarded by SACD (1993).
• Nominated twice at French Classical Music Victoires 1993, for Le Château des Carpathes.
• Recordings of first string quartet and Château des Carpathes won Grand Prize of French Records Academy.
• Arthur Honegger Prize 1994, for Concerto n°1 pour violoncelle.
• Prize of the Syndicat de la Critique Musicale et Dramatique 1994, for Le Château des Carpathes and Concerto n°1 pour violoncelle.
• Maurice Ravel Prize (1996)
• Nominated, for two years, « residency composer » at the Orchestre National de Lyon (from September 1998 to September 2000)
• Grand Prize of Symphonic Music, awarded by SACEM (1998)
• Musical Grand Prize Simone & Cino del Duca Foundation, granted by Académie des Beaux-Arts (2001).
• Nominated at French Classical Music Victoires (Composer of the Year) in 2005
• Main invited composer of Festival Présences de Radio France in February 2004. A retrospective of his work has been proposed at this occasion, as well as the premiere of his Violin Concerto, commissioned by Radio France.
• Named in 2008 composer in residence at the Orchestra of Britain for three seasons.
• Named in Victoires de la Musique Classique 2008, 2009 & 2010.
• Named "composer of the year" in Victoires de la Musique Classique 2010.